Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Comida

Class has been going beautifully—I’m one on one with my teacher, and she’s great! I’m learning a lot about Mexican culture, and it’s great to be able to go at my own pace. We cover a lot in each 4 hour session, so I already feel like I’ve been here a week even though this was only my second day of class!

Yesterday I went down to the zocalo (main square) after comida (like lunch, but more food and at 2:30 or 3:00 p.m.--also, the food has been uniformally glorious since coming to south-central Mexico. What'll I do when I go home...?) and sat at a little café for a few hours, studying verbs. I get the feeling that I won’t be doing much besides studying while I’m here, which is just fine with me! I have been drinking way more coffee than I should. Oh well…. it’s so good and cheap here!

I’ve only met a few people so far, but I already miss the group from Tepoztlán. We all were on the same wavelength, and interested in the same things, but now at Cemanahuac I’m just one of many students who all seem to be here for disparate reasons (or who are with a school group who already know each other and so don’t talk to any one else). It’s possible that I’ll be in a class with other people next week, but the fact that I’m all by myself compounds the feeling that I’m not going to meet a lot of people on this part of my trip. This is also ok with me. I’m really here to learn!

On Thursday I’m going on a trip to an orphanage, and then on Saturday to Teotihuacan, the pyramids of the sun and the moon which are the second largest in the world after those in Egypt. I think I’m going to try to go to a nearby spa-town on Sunday to get a massage…..woo!

No comments: